LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore
LLM (Maritime Law), University of Southampton
Advocate and Solicitor, Singapore
Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales
Called to the Singapore Bar: 2004
John joined Joseph Tan Jude Benny as a pupil in 2003 and was made Partner in January 2012. For maritime matters, John is regularly instructed by leading insurers, major shipyards, listed commodities companies and oil majors on a mixture of both wet and dry shipping disputes, including bills of lading and charterparty claims, P&I, H&M and cargo insurance matters, vessel collision, shipyard related disputes, ship arrests, contractual disputes relating to vessel and offshore equipment supplies, brokerage, ship finance, bunker supplies, warehouse, multimodal transport and cargo documentation. John also handles ship mortgage and finance matters.
John is experienced in maritime arbitration, and regularly handles arbitrations in Singapore, Hong Kong and London. These include SCMA, SIAC, LMAA and ICC arbitrations.
John’s non-maritime litigation work has generally been in the area of negligence/ duty of care, payment disputes in construction law, enforcement of Letter of Credit / Performance Bonds as well as intellectual property matters.
For non-litigation matters, John has carved out a niche market and has been retained by major shipyards and world leading chemical plants in Singapore to advise on Environmental, Health and Safety, Employment, Regulatory, Licensing, as well as contractual matters.
John’s work has also taken him to JTJB’s Bangkok Office, as the first lawyer to be seconded to a JTJB Global Network office. His main focus during the secondment period (September 2005 to mid-2006) is to assist in setting up JTJB’s Bangkok office, JTJB International Lawyers Co., Ltd.
John was also on sabbatical from September 2007 to 2008 to study for his LLM in Maritime Law degree, on a Joint Maritime Scholarship from the Maritime Port Authority of Singapore, at the University of Southampton, where he was awarded a Masters in Law with Distinction.
John presently sits on the Legal and Insurance sub-committee of the Singapore Shipping Association.
Notable litigation matters handled:
– Acting for warehouse company on a multi-million documentary fraud matter
– Acting for a leading Singapore shipyard on the maritime casualty matters, including ship fire and sinking in the
– Acting for ship designers in a shipyard dispute with claims in excess of USD25million
– Acting for a listed commodities company in multiple charterparty disputes claims, with legal proceedings in
London, Hong Kong and China.
– Acting for a major marine engine and equipment supplier in various contractual disputes with shipowners
relating to supplies, repairs and maintenance work.
– Acting for a listed equipment supplier in a dispute with insurers regarding claims payment
– Acting for submarine cable owners in claims arising from cable damage caused by vessels
– Acting for an Oil major in various incidents caused by vessel navigation and operation issues.
– Acting for shipowner of a survey vessel designed and used for seeking shipwrecks
– Acting for vessel owner in disputes arising from short delivery and quality of fuel oil.
● Admiralty Practice, Chapter XLVII, Atkin’s Court
Forms, Singapore, Issue 3, 2007.
● Thailand’s Multimodal Transport Act, Carriage and
Maritime Law Journal, 1st edition, Thammasat
University of Thailand
● Shipping & Trade Law April / May 2006 issue,
Volumes 5 & 6