LLB (Hons), NUS
Advocates & Solicitors, Singapore
Called to the Bar: 1990
Florence heads the corporate department in Joseph Tan Jude Benny LLP. She commenced practice in Rajah & Tann in 1990, thereafter was a partner of Helen Yeo and Partners (now known as Denton Rodyk) before joining as partner in Joseph Tan Jude Benny in 2000. She had handled private residential / commercial housing project development work as legal counsel with one of the biggest renowned housing developer in Singapore, Far East Organisation / Orchard Parade Limited, giving her the opportunity to understand the work process of project development work of developer clients.
Florence has extensive corporate experience in highly complex cross border deals. Her work involves negotiating and advising on joint ventures in Singapore and across the world including Myanmar and Indonesia, structures for foreign investments, restructuring of businesses, mergers and acquisitions, and collaborations. She also assisted clients in transactions involving vessel acquisition, vessel financing, aircraft acquisition, aircraft leasing documentation, and drafted a wide variety of corporate agreements such as joint venture agreements, investment agreement, syndicated loan agreements, licensing agreements, employment agreements, commercial and industrial leasing agreements.
Recent notable engagements include the following:
- Jointly acting for a Singapore engineering & fabrication company and its Australian partner, a pre-eminent provider of wharf-side port logistics and port management service in the Australian region in their joint venture collaboration to set up, develop and operate an offshore marine offshore facility spanning over 14 hectares of land in Bintan, Indonesia, and worth an initial investment value of USD 40 million and liaising with Indonesian counsel of local law requirements;
- Acting for one of Singapore’s largest tanker owner in the review of their USD400 million loan documentation;
- Acting for a ship trading company in the review of highly complex vessel financing/leasing documentation in relation to the acquisition of vessels amounting to USD 30 million;
- Jointly acting for three very well established insurers as well as a technology start-up company on the implementation of an innovative financial technology platform to enhance existing insurance products and now assisting in their venture in Thailand;
- Acting for the Singapore arm of a group of companies in a transaction involving a global acquisition of a life science logistics and freight provider group of companies, with a focus on the legal issues which presented itself within the Singapore jurisdiction;
- Acting for a technology start-up company in respect of the implementation of an online trading platform to facilitate interbank loan swap and interbank security swap which included the drafting of the terms and conditions for their website, platform operational rules and personal data protection policy as well as their joint venture into the South East Asia region;
- Acting for a Chinese investment company in the preparation of an investment agreement for an investment into a company raising funds through initial coin offerings and dealing in cryptocurrency, advising on the legality thereof;
- Advised, negotiated and drafted agreements in respect of private share subscriptions, private placements and fund management schemes;
- Acting for a Singapore developer in the purchase of shares in a property development company worth 25 million, and their joint venture collaboration in the development of a mixed used property project.
Florence is also actively involved in Myanmar and oversees the Myanmar desk. Her recent engagements include the following:-
- Acting for an industry market leader in the distribution of smart card issuance equipment and identity system in their intended digital innovation business venture into Myanmar, to introduce its digital technology to different business sectors within Myanmar, and preparing all required documentation for the project;
- Acting for Myanmar National Airlines in their aircraft acquisitions amounting to USD70 million and review of highly complex aviation financing/leasing documentation in relation to the financing arrangements;
- Acting for Myanmar National Airlines in relation to in their expansion of operations into Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and China and assisting with branch set up of Myanmar National Airlines in Asia pacific region and liaising with local counsel on legal requirements;
- Acting for a well-known Myanmar cruise operator in the preparation of a cruise charter agreements for a boutique and luxury Myanmar cruise liner and the revision of their passenger ticket conditions;
- Acting for a Myanmar national flag carrier in their vessel acquisition;
- advising on the legal structure for a joint venture in Thailand involving a large international marine service provider company;
- Advising on the structure of a group of companies for the development of an island in Myanmar estimated to have an investment undertaking of USD 40 million whilst taking into account the requirements of the Myanmar Investment Commission, and drafting and negotiating various agreements for the joint venture between parties;
- Review of documentation for a Myanmar entity in relation to nominee shareholding arrangement in a prominent international school in Myanmar;
- Acting for a Myanmar entity in the negotiations with their investor in relation to a complex suit of documentation for the restoration and conservation of a national heritage monument in Myanmar known as the Secretariate with an initial project value of USD50 million; and
- Acting for a rubber importer and exporter in relation to their expansion into Myanmar and other South East Asia regions.