LL.B. (Hons) (Manchester, U.K.)
Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Solicitor, Supreme Court of England & Wales
Called to the Singapore Bar: 2006
Called to the UK Bar: 2009
Areas of Practice
Baldev is dual qualified in Singapore and England with more than 10 years of international experience across the world’s leading global law firms including a UK Silver Circle and New York “White Shoe” firm. He has particular expertise in the Energy, Resources, Infrastructure sectors and specializes in cross-border disputes and international arbitration, most notably those connected with regional markets such as India and Indonesia.
His specialist knowledge of the commodities market also includes practical experience as part of the legal team of BHP Billiton in Singapore while on secondment. Baldev’s practice extends beyond pure contentious matters and he regularly assists clients with contractual risk management extending to drafting and reviewing agreements.
Baldev has been active in the Indonesian market for several years and has passed the Bar Exam for Foreign Advocates implemented by the Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI).
His practice covers both Singapore law and English law aspects in areas such as:
- Metals, Minerals & Agri-Commodities including trading and offtake agreements of metals, minerals, ores and agricultural products with a particular focus on quality, carriage and trade documentation disputes including those arising under GAFTA and FOSFA agreements.
- Oil & Gas including upstream and downstream contracts in the exploration, production, storage, trade and transportation of oil, gas and petrochemicals with specialist experience in LNG price renegotiations.
- Construction& Infrastructure including EPC arrangements relating to vessels, subsea equipment, offshore units such as FPSOs and rigs as well as onshore powerplants.
- Shipping & Offshore including charterparty and operational disputes arising from vessels and offshore units.
Baldev has considerable experience in international arbitration and has acted on disputes under the SIAC, ICC, UNCITRAL, LMAA, LCIA and GAFTA rules for clients that include state owned entities, oil & gas majors, mining producers, commodities traders, contractors, vessel owners, charterers and lenders.
Baldev also sits as arbitrator for disputes. He is on SIAC’s Reserve Panel of Arbitrators and is qualified as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Notable Singapore Court Cases
- Registrar of Vehicles v Komoco Motors Pte Ltd  3 SLR 340
- Komoco Motors Pte Ltd v Registrar of Vehicles and another  4 SLR 145
- Asia Pacific Wire & Cable Corp Ltd and Others v Chik Kai-Ming Aaron and Another  SGHC 102
- “BIT by BIT – Indonesia’s move away from Bi-Lateral Investment Treaties continues”, Lexis PSL Arbitration, July 2015
- Young SIAC Inaugural Conference, “The Dynamics and Challenges of International Arbitration – The Road Ahead”, June 2015
- “Legal Risk Informs Risk Allocation in FPSO Construction Contracts” Offshore Magazine, December 2014
- Cited in article by Steven Knight published in Maritime Journal – “Wind contractors hit by risk”, December 2014
- “Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Indonesia”, LexisPSL Arbitration, Dec 2014
- “Navigating Refund Guarantees: Steering Clear of Choppy Waters”, Marine Money International Oct/Nov 2014
- “Arbitrating in Indonesia – What have you signed up for”, LexisPSL Arbitration, Aug 2014
- “Errors in construction standards and specifications”, Australian Construction Law Newsletter July/August 2014
- “A Mountain Too High: The Challenge of Setting Aside an Arbitral Award on the Basis of Fraud in Different Jurisdictions”, SchiedsVZ, February 2013
Notable Speaking Engagements
- “EPC Contract Management Masterclass” Crown Leadership, Singapore, September 2015
- “Managing Construction Risk in Indonesian Projects” Jakarta, June 2015
- “International Arbitration in Indonesian Projects: What have you signed up for?” Jakarta, June 2014
- “EPC Contract, Negotiation, Administration and Risk Management” Crown Leadership, Singapore, March 2014
- “Resolving APAC & International FIDIC Disputes” Singapore, 2013