LL.B. (Hons) ( U.K.)
Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
Solicitor, England & Wales
Qualified Foreign Lawyer, Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI)
Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, FCIArb
Areas of Practice
Baldev is the head of the Energy, Resources & Infrastructure team. He is dual qualified in Singapore and England with more than 12 years of international experience across the world’s leading global law firms including a UK Silver Circle and New York Wall Street firm. He has particular expertise in the Oil & Gas and Commodities sectors and specializes in cross-border disputes and international arbitration, most notably those connected with regional markets such as India and Indonesia.
Baldev has worked on some of the largest complex disputes in the world and was recognised in 2017 as one of 40 outstanding lawyers in the Asian region by Asian Legal Business “40 under 40″ guide of legal professionals. In 2018 Baldev was nominated as one of 20 rising legal luminaries in Singapore by the Singapore Business Review. Baldev is also ranked as a “Future Star” in International Arbitration & Construction in Benchmark Litigation’s 2018 Asia Pacific Guide.
His specialist knowledge of the commodities market also includes practical experience as part of the legal team of BHP Billiton in Singapore while on secondment. Baldev’s practice extends beyond pure contentious matters and he regularly assists clients with contract drafting of trade contracts, LNG offtake arrangements, power purchase and EPC agreements.
Baldev has been active in the Indonesian market for several years and is a Qualified Foreign Advocate with the Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI).
His practice covers both Singapore law and English law aspects in areas such as:
- Metals, Minerals & Agri-Commodities including trading and offtake agreements of metals, minerals, ores and agricultural products with a particular focus on quality, carriage and trade documentation disputes including those arising under GAFTA and FOSFA agreements.
- Oil & Gas including upstream and downstream contracts in the exploration, production, storage, trade and transportation of oil, gas and petrochemicals with specialist experience in LNG price renegotiations.
- Construction& Infrastructure including EPC arrangements relating to vessels, subsea equipment, offshore units such as FPSOs and rigs as well as onshore powerplants.
- Shipping & Offshore including charterparty and operational disputes arising from vessels and offshore units.
Baldev has considerable experience in international arbitration and has acted on disputes under the SIAC, ICC, UNCITRAL, LMAA, LCIA and GAFTA rules for clients that include state owned entities, oil & gas majors, mining producers, commodities traders, contractors, vessel owners, charterers and lenders.
Baldev also sits as arbitrator for disputes. He is on SIAC’s Reserve Panel of Arbitrators and is qualified as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Baldev speaks English, Punjabi, Bahasa, Hindi & Spanish.
Recent engagements include the following:
- Advising a large MNC on its construction project involving delay and disruption claims
- Acting for a commodities company in relation to a Singapore court claim of about S$25 million.
- Acted for a listed commodities company in relation to 6 SIAC arbitrations against an international bank for disputes in excess of S$20 million.
- Acted for a mining company in relation to SIAC arbitration proceedings for a dispute in excess of S$3 billion connected with an Indonesian mine.
- Acting for an oil trading company in relation to a dispute in excess of S$20 million.
- Acted and advised a consortium of LNG sellers in relation to gas price arbitration proceedings.
- Acting for a lender in a dispute arising from the provision of trade credit insurance.
- Acting for a lender in relation to a Singapore court claim in excess of S$4 million arising from a trade facility.
- Acting for a commodities trader in relation to a claim of about S$5 million under its trading contract and trade credit insurance.
- Acted for a copper commodities trader in relation to SIAC arbitration proceedings for a dispute of S$3 million.
- Acting for a global commodities trader in relation to SIAC arbitration proceedings arising from non-performance of trading contracts.
- Advising various trade credit insurers in relation to claims and policy coverage.
- Advising a coal trader in relation to disputes arising from the performance of an Indonesian coal trading contract.
- Assisting a lender with debt recovery and/or restructuring of debts of various trading companies in Singapore, India, Indonesia and Malaysia.
- “The key to reducing fraud in international trade ” Singapore Business Times, February 2018
- “Corporate Indian Insolvency: Fastest Fingers First”, International Financial Law Review, September 2017
- “Steel Market at risk of running afoul of price fundamentals”, Singapore Business Times, May 2017
- “Doyen of Singapore Maritime law busy as ever”, Tradewinds, April 2017
- “BIT by BIT – Indonesia’s move away from Bi-Lateral Investment Treaties continues”, Lexis PSL Arbitration, July 2015
- Young SIAC Inaugural Conference, “The Dynamics and Challenges of International Arbitration – The Road Ahead”, June 2015
- “Legal Risk Informs Risk Allocation in FPSO Construction Contracts” Offshore Magazine, December 2014
- Cited in article by Steven Knight published in Maritime Journal – “Wind contractors hit by risk”, December 2014
- “Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Indonesia”, LexisPSL Arbitration, Dec 2014
- “Navigating Refund Guarantees: Steering Clear of Choppy Waters”, Marine Money International Oct/Nov 2014
- “Arbitrating in Indonesia – What have you signed up for”, LexisPSL Arbitration, Aug 2014
- “Errors in construction standards and specifications”, Australian Construction Law Newsletter July/August 2014
- “A Mountain Too High: The Challenge of Setting Aside an Arbitral Award on the Basis of Fraud in Different Jurisdictions”, SchiedsVZ, February 2013