LL.B. (Hons) ( U.K.)
Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
Solicitor, England & Wales
Qualified Foreign Lawyer, Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI)
Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, FCIArb
Areas of Practice
Baldev is the head of the Energy, Resources & Infrastructure team. He is dual qualified in Singapore and England with more than 12 years of international experience across the world’s leading global law firms including a UK Silver Circle and New York Wall Street firm. He has particular expertise in the Oil & Gas and Commodities sectors and advises on various aspects including a specialization in cross-border disputes and international arbitration. He is particularly active in the Indonesian and South Asian markets where he acts for foreign investors, financiers, international companies, and conglomerates.
Baldev has worked on some of the largest complex disputes in the world and was recognised in 2017 as one of 40 outstanding lawyers in the Asian region by Asian Legal Business “40 under 40″ guide of legal professionals. In 2018 Baldev was nominated as one of 20 rising legal luminaries in Singapore by the Singapore Business Review. Baldev is ranked as a “Future Star” in International Arbitration & Construction in Benchmark Litigation’s 2018 Asia Pacific Guide as well as Who’s Who Legal 2018 for Trade. He has also been featured in Global Arbitration Review and Prestige Magazine as a trailblazer in Singapore.
His specialist knowledge of the commodities market also includes practical experience as part of the legal team of BHP Billiton in Singapore while on secondment. Baldev’s practice extends beyond pure contentious matters and he regularly assists clients with contract drafting of trade contracts, LNG offtake arrangements, power purchase and EPC agreements.
Baldev has been active in the Indonesian market for several years and is a Qualified Foreign Advocate with the Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI).
His practice covers both Singapore law and English law aspects in areas such as:
- Metals, Minerals & Agri-Commodities including trading and offtake agreements of metals, minerals, ores and agricultural products with a particular focus on quality, carriage and trade documentation disputes including those arising under GAFTA and FOSFA agreements.
- Oil & Gas including upstream and downstream contracts in the exploration, production, storage, trade and transportation of oil, gas and petrochemicals with specialist experience in LNG price renegotiations.
- Construction& Infrastructure including EPC arrangements relating to vessels, subsea equipment, offshore units such as FPSOs and rigs as well as onshore powerplants.
- Shipping & Offshore including charterparty and operational disputes arising from vessels and offshore units.
Baldev has considerable experience in international arbitration and has acted on disputes under the SIAC, ICC, UNCITRAL, LMAA, LCIA and GAFTA rules for clients that include state owned entities, oil & gas majors, mining producers, commodities traders, contractors, vessel owners, charterers and lenders.
Baldev also sits as arbitrator for disputes. He is on SIAC’s Reserve Panel of Arbitrators and is qualified as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Baldev speaks English, Punjabi, Bahasa, Hindi & Spanish.
Recent engagements include the following:
- Acted for an Indian listed company in relation to 6 SIAC arbitrations for copper trades against an international bank for disputes in excess of S$20 million.
- Successfully acted for a commodities trader in the Singapore Courts in a claim of about S$25 million.
- Acting for an oil trading company in relation to a dispute in excess of S$22 million.
- Acting for a lender against an agri-commodities trader in the Singapore Courts with related proceedings in the UK against the forwarder for mis-delivery of goods with total claims of about S$10 million.
- Acting for a Bangladesh conglomerate on 2 SIAC arbitrations for claims of about S$5 million against an international trading company arising from the steel trading contracts.
- Acting for an international steel trader in relation to claims by its financiers for S$15 million.
- Acting for a financier against an agri-commodities trader in multi-jurisdictional claims including Singapore Court proceedings for claims of about US$10 million.
- Acted for an international trader in a London arbitration for claims of about S$ 5 million in relation to double financing of cotton trades.
- Acting for an international trading company in relation to claims arising from a copper contract against a Chinese counterpart for S$14 million.
- Acted for a copper commodities trader in relation to SIAC arbitration proceedings for a dispute of S$3 million.
- Advising a large MNC on its construction project of a steel plant involving claims in excess of S$10 million.
- Advising a lender in relation to various multi-jurisdictional claims in excess of S$25 million including ship arrests, freezing injunctions, Singapore and UK security enforcement proceedings.
- Acting for an international trading company against a Chinese trader for defaults arising under commodities contracts for about S$10 million.
- Successfully acted for a financier against a commodities trader in its claim of about S$4 million in the Singapore Courts.
- Acted for a financier in the Singapore Courts in relation to claims of about S$4 million arising from a dispute in the provision of trade credit insurance.
- Acted for an international trader in the Singapore Courts for a claim against its insurers of about S$5 million arising from cotton trades.
- Acting for a global commodities trader in relation to SIAC arbitration proceedings arising from non-performance of trading contracts against an Indian counterpart.
- Acting for a lender against a Japanese trading house in the Singapore Courts for claims arising out of a trade contract for about S$1 million.
- Advising a state owned O&G entity in relation to its trading contracts.
- Advising various companies on powerplant, mining projects and LNG transportation in Indonesia and Bangladesh.
- “The key to reducing fraud in international trade” Singapore Business Times, February 2018
- “Corporate Indian Insolvency: Fastest Fingers First”, International Financial Law Review, September 2017
- “Steel Market at risk of running afoul of price fundamentals”, Singapore Business Times, May 2017
- “Doyen of Singapore Maritime law busy as ever”, Tradewinds, April 2017
- “BIT by BIT – Indonesia’s move away from Bi-Lateral Investment Treaties continues”, Lexis PSL Arbitration, July 2015
- Young SIAC Inaugural Conference, “The Dynamics and Challenges of International Arbitration – The Road Ahead”, June 2015
- “Legal Risk Informs Risk Allocation in FPSO Construction Contracts” Offshore Magazine, December 2014
- Cited in article by Steven Knight published in Maritime Journal – “Wind contractors hit by risk”, December 2014
- “Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Indonesia”, LexisPSL Arbitration, Dec 2014
- “Navigating Refund Guarantees: Steering Clear of Choppy Waters”, Marine Money International Oct/Nov 2014
- “Arbitrating in Indonesia – What have you signed up for”, LexisPSL Arbitration, Aug 2014
- “Errors in construction standards and specifications”, Australian Construction Law Newsletter July/August 2014
- “A Mountain Too High: The Challenge of Setting Aside an Arbitral Award on the Basis of Fraud in Different Jurisdictions”, SchiedsVZ, February 2013