LLB (Bachelor of Laws), Singapore Management University
Advocate and Solicitor, Singapore
Called to the Singapore Bar: 2015
T | (65) 6220 9388
E | firstname.lastname@example.org
Lip Kai read law at the Singapore Management University. Lip Kai interned at the firm in 2013 before he graduated with a Bachelor of Laws and joined the firm as a Practice Trainee in December 2014. After being called to the Singapore Bar in August 2015, he was retained in the firm as an Associate.
Lip Kai’s main areas of practice are Shipping & Admiralty, Commercial Dispute Resolution and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Some notable cases that he has assisted in include:
- Acted for a shipping company in a claim against a slot charterer for failing to load cargo on the vessel. The case went to the Court of Appeal where the client succeeded substantially;
- Acted for one of the largest Greek banks in the enforcement of a fleet mortgage with a claim value of approximately US$20 million;
- Acted for a shareholder in a joint venture in a shareholder dispute resulting in an application to redeem a mortgage over 3 vessels (which went to the Court of Appeal), a shareholder derivative action and a Mareva injunction;
- Acted for a supplier in a claim against a processing company for breach of contract and conversion of raw banana film amounting to approximately US$1 million;
- Acted for a UAE bitumen company to enforce an arbitration award against an Indian Company and obtaining a Mareva injunction;
- Acted for a Marshall Island company in a dispute over payment of charter “before breaking bulk” and applying to set aside or strike out an arrest of the client’s vessel; and
- Act for a Singapore company in a dispute over alleged breach of confidential information and conspiracy to injure by unlawful means.